On Assignment: Architecture / Public Art Photography for the City Of Montreal
- On Assignment: Architecture / Public Art Photography for the City Of Montreal
- On Assignment: Public Art Architecture Photography – Project Bonaventure – Source Artwork By Jaume Plensa
- On Assignment: Public Art Architecture Photography – Parc Carrefour Pie IX – City Of Montreal
- On Assignment: Public Art Architecture Photography – Project Bonaventure – Dendrites By Patrick De Broin
- On Assignment: Public Art Architecture Photography – The world Within Mural by Jason Cantoro
Although most architecture photography revolves mostly around capturing pictures of institutional, residential, commercial and industrial buildings, it also includes public art photography. Public art takes many forms, it can be murals, sculptures or paintings.
In the past few years, I’ve had the chance to work with the city of Montreal for various assignments involving public art photography so I was more than happy when they contacted me last December to capture several works around the city. This time though, I had to face a couple of challenges.
First, part of the images had to be aerial. I resolved this by using my 30Ft telescopic mast. The reason behind this is that the city wanted to be able to document the exact location of each piece of art as some of them were about to be moved. Too make my job easier, I used a 14mm lens on my camera along with a tablet connected wirelessly to the camera that allowed me to watch the live view and trigger the camera remotely.
The second challenge was the weather. Montreal does get pretty cold in the winter and although I was lucky for the first part of this assignment, for the second part, even if I chose a sunny day, the temperature was really cold (around -16C) and I had to deal with snow. it was quite the workout.
Enough talk, here are a selection of the pictures taken, mostly with a 14mm and 24mm Tilt Shift. If you like what you see, go out and visit them.
- Au Grand Dam, Ville Lasalle
- Les Trois Disques – Ile Ste-Hélène
- Le Phare Du Cosmos – Ile Ste-Hélène
- Porte De l’Amitié – Ile Ste-Hélène
- Signe Solaire – Ile Ste-Hélène
- Vélocité Des lieux, Montréal
- Réplique Croix Du Mont-Royal, Montréal
Thanks for viewing!
David Giral is a published Montreal/Toronto based editorial and commercial professional photographer specialized in architecture, interiors, portrait and travel photography.
Text, photographs, and other media are © Copyright David Giral (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without permission from David Giral.